Friday, May 12, 2006

Rejection

Why is it so true that the moment you start to take a relationship even moderately serious the other person involved is thinking thoughts diametrically opposed to you? Is it some cosmic law of the universe? There’s the ever popular theory – you know, the one you are probably thinking right now; she could tell and that’s why it coincides so well. That’s a load. Usually I realize how ‘cool’ things are getting a day or so after the last time I ever see her. The other school of thought, the one that a few people who know me agree with is that somehow I chase them away subconsciously. I guess that’s because subconsciously I don’t want any action, affection or attention? (Yes, action and affection are not the same thing. Affection may be the reason for action, but I still want both... and the sink.)

I strongly dislike the notion that girls run away from me because of something subconscious. I don’t want to think that part of me is that roommate that sits on the couch with YOUR date and talks to her until the end of the night and the whole time you want to be alone and make out with her. Sure, I’m a little afraid of getting hurt. Everyone is. I am also a little timid about admitting to myself when I like a girl. I think it’s supposed to work that way, and it does for nearly everyone. Why do I have to be so freaking different? I know that I am different, but I’m not different. I’m more like everyone else than I am different. Differences don’t inspire understanding and I have gotten to know myself through my experiences with other people and the similarities we share. So why is the most common rejection line I get, “We’re just too different?” Does everyone really think they are the penultimate individual? Look, world! There is more than one other individual in the world! Everyone is an individual, and in the immortal words of Syndrome™ that’s just another way of saying that nobody’s special… er… individual. If you go on dates looking for that one special person who will align the planets on your first or second date you will be disappointed, probably for your whole life. If you go on dates just trying to have fun and get to know someone then maybe you’ll find out that there is someone that makes you feel like a million bucks hiding inside that person who may be, oh no! different from you.

Yeah, I’m bitter right now. Is it wrong for me to want to date for fun and enjoyment hoping for a real human connection?

3 Comments:

Blogger Iras Malis Amtephrah Sokatsudo said...

Wrong? Hell no.

The problem is, I can't offer a solution, because I honestly have never been in your situation. I've been told that the less you care about getting a girlfriend, the more likely you are to find one. I'm not certain how true that is, but I've noticed that a lot of girls don't seem to have a problem talking to me... probably because they feel I'm 'safe', though. But at least in my case, perhaps they get to know me and then realize 'hey, this guy isn't too bad'. (But then again, maybe they change that opinion the minute I ask them out. I dunno.)

Ultimately, I'm not saying you should be like me and not want it, but if what I'm told is true at all, then try not to worry about it.

Keep plucking away, Frenzy! If you need my help at all, if only for someone to hang with, just let me know. You know where to find me.


Oh, and incidentally, that roommate of yours bugs the hell out of me too when he does that.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its not wrong at all. Hey I found this through you posting on Matts campaigns site thing. I was REALLY lonely for some good D&D action, so he gave me the like so that I could live vicariously through you guys. Oh the sadness of being away. I'm going to Disney World on Sunday! I'll be there until winter semester. More sadness. Anywho, its not wrong at all, human connections are good things... last time I checked. But it might have changed in the last .483679 mili seconds, so I'll check again. Chin up! Say Jay

7:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you're not the world's biggest noob, either. (You know who I'm talking about.) And I agree with this post, by the way.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home